[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Sat Jun 16 01:00:05 CEST 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> On Friday, June 15, 2001, at 12:26 PM, alex wetmore wrote:
> > Computers are cheap.  Bandwidth isn't necessarily cheap.  I run with a
> > very high chunking factor because my MTA properly handles it
>
> But -- if this went away, what would it do to your bandwidth? Are you
> paying by packet? If not, the only PRACTICAL difference is that if the
> pipe is full, delivery slows down.

I have a DSL provider who has made noise about starting to pay by the
bandwidth.  Additionally I use the line for interactive (ssh)
connections by which I read and write email (I'm writing this email
now over the line) and lower bandwidth usage means that I get better
interactive rates.  I can tell when the digests are going out because
my line is painful for a few minutes.

I assume I'm not the only person running Mailman for fairly large
lists over a somewhat low bandwidth link (and a link that isn't
dedicated to Mailman).  I send out 100k msgs/day peak, about
30-40k/day on average and have a 256k upstream.  This link is used for
many things, Mailman is just one of them.

alex