[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Jun 16 09:58:42 CEST 2001

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:44:24 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, June 16, 2001, at 12:40 AM, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> My observation is that putting the same reminder at the in every
>> message footer is immediately ignored.  Making the footer rotate
>> among N variations,

> I think that's overkill, though.

Certainly there are questions of diminishing returns.

However, given the current plugin/handler it would seem simple to
have a library of such handlers which by list configuration may be
attached to a given list.  One could rotate list footers.  One could
prefix/affix any list footer with a user specific unsubscribe line.

I'm also kinda keen on putting a themes engine on Mailman -- montly
a file-extracted form of headers/footers/tokens ala your mod_layout
thing.

> My observation is that people who don't notice the header are
> unlikely to notice much of anything, including sending them the
> instructions on parchment with gold ink carried by a naked vestal
> virgin on an elephant.

I'm still waiting for some a list owner to try that with me.  The
last guy cheap skated with purple ink, which rather ruined the
effect.

> At some point, you have to decide it's not worth trying to save
> someone from themselves.

<sigh>

Yeah.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows