[Mailman-Users] Debian upgrade hell...

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sun Jun 24 11:09:34 CEST 2001

For reasons that have to do with grad school and having started my
final project for The Class From Hell on another platform, I upgraded
(hand-compiled) Python 2.1 on my debian system (the only weirdness is
that I'm running sendmail rather than exim, but otherwise it's a
pretty stock lightweight debian build).

Oh, and I'm running the testing branch of Debian.

Naturally, cron hated the fact that Python had been upgraded and sent
me lots of hate mail, for which I created a user and sent it there.

Today that caught up with me, the unhappy cron kvetching had taken my
load average to 27, at which point sendmail spat a hairball. Note
that in three years of running the same setup (but until recently on
SuSE), it's never been that unhappy. Then again, I've never ignored
it for a week while I was working on finals either.

I'd like to run mailman 2.0, but a) I can't find a debian package
that wants Python 2.x; b) the ones I can find are for different build
setups than I have.

Thus, what I'd *really* like is the One True configure incantation
for debian because I've been working on getting this system unbroken
(without breaking my as-yet-ungraded grad school final project of
course) in ten hours with extensive searching of archives and web.

Right now, I have the 2.0.5 tarball from Debian and have patched it.
However, there's no real help there about what to pass to configure
and all my guesses thus far have NOT resulted in everything going in
the happy fun places they need to.