[Mailman-Users] mail loops: list-request and vacation messages

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jun 26 09:53:20 CEST 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:46:02 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 25, 2001, at 10:43 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> I have a long standing rule on how I reward such people: I
>> unsubscribe them, immediately if not sooner.

> I'm not that hard- at ss yet...

Hehn.  And who is the old fart here?

I look at it this way:

  This list is here for discussion of &topic;.  You are discouraging
  discussion of &topic; on this list, therefore you are attempting,
  conciously or not, deliberately or no, , to prevent this list from
  fulfilling its charter and the purpose for which it run.  I like
  this list and I want to see it succeed.  I'd rather not have
  people on this list that are trying to make it fail.

  Goodbye!

> ..., but it's one reason why I have (and enforce) a "don't try to
> be a list mom" rule.

I look at it as a question of extent and case.

One of the things I require is proper attribution of quoted text (I
reject posts that aren't attributed).  Occassionally posts will come
thru that don't attribute the second or third level quotes.
Occasionally list members will notice this and comment, on-list,
that <whoever> needs to make sure they don't delete needed
attributions.  Fair sinkum.  Social norming.  Group definition.
Good stuff.

Now posters trying to set and enforce new/different rules for the
list? (which has happened) That gets a short, sharp clue stick to
the side of the head.

> My rules are actually fairly simple. If you want to act like a
> list mom, know the rules you're enforcing. And one of those rules
> is "don't do that". rather hard for them to justify their actions
> that way, of course.... (grin)

Ha!

My general list moderation approach is:

  Here are the boundaries.  Anything within here that doesn't
  contravene or counter the base list purpose is fair game.
  Anything that hits these walls or which seems to counter, weaken,
  or detract from the list purpose or charter may be treated with
  all the prejudice likely to be show a rabid dog in a baby's bedroom.

Or at least that's the public stance.  The actual expression of that
tends to be rather quiet and carefully targeted to minimise
collateral damage.

J C Lawrence                                             claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                                http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/
I never claimed to be human.