[Mailman-Users] Fixing subject lines

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Wed Jun 27 17:55:18 CEST 2001

    B> I've noticed weird font/character tags popping up in my digest
    B> subject lines quite a bit recently.  Is there a way to fix /
    B> filter this, at least for the digests?  Example:

    B>   36. Alternative Audio Interfaces for Notebook Computers
    B> (David Harris) 37. Re: NY Times article
    B> (=?iso-8859-1?Q?SurgeX=AE?= AC Power Products)

    B> Would be really nice to delete all the = stuff and related
    B> junk, stripping it down to plain ascii.

If those were in a real Subject: header, and you had a sophisticated
enough MUA, you'd see those characters in the proper charset.  I
wouldn't expect many MUAs recognize RFC 2047 encoding in the body of a
message.

At some point, Mailman should probably decode those characters and add
them decoded to the subject headers, although there may be trouble
with content-transfer-encodings and such.

-Barry