[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman & Sendmail problems

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Fri Jun 29 08:37:20 CEST 2001

On Thursday, June 28, 2001, at 10:48 PM, Alexander Prohorenko wrote:

> I'm not taking caffeine :)  Anyway, thanks for advise.
> Actually, I'm just transferring from majordomo to mailman, and majordomo
> processes input queue almost immediatly.  I just wanted the same
> effect for mailman.

It's a teeny bit slower, but a lot better on the system. Do you know
what happens when you have 15 messages hit majordomo at about the same
time? All 15 go off at once. Mailman is a little slower on a
close-to-idle system -- but scales MUCH better than majordomo when it
gets busy. 2.1 will actually improve this further, but majordomo has a
bad tendency to implode a system if you get a burst of content and
haven't tuned the system right. Mailman's designed to avoid that, and
what you're seeing is one of the tradeoff's needed to avoid that kind of
peak load resource crisis.

You know, I Remember When I Used To Speak In Capitals, Too. It's
addictive.
It also encourages people to poke sticks at you. Justifiably. (chuq,
1992)