[Mailman-Users] stupidest question of all

Christopher Kolar ckolar at aurora.edu
Tue Mar 6 20:27:47 CET 2001

At 01:16 PM 3/6/2001, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>Christopher Kolar wrote:
>
> > I run W2K on my office machine,
> > so downloading and untarring stuff on my server still does not give me
> > something that I can print right away.
>
>     Why not?  I run Win98, I download, untar the file (through WinZip),
> open the
>INSTALL files up in whatever word processor I have, and hit the print button.
>What's wrong with that?
>     AMK4

Nothing is wrong with that, but it is a question of user
expectations.  When there is a link that says Installation the user expects
information about installation, not about where to find the information
about installation.  The most frequent question that I get from people
grabbing the admin docs is asking about an online version of the install
docs.  When I come across a site like this I want to get a quick idea of
what I will required to do to get things up and running, so quick access to
the install docs without having to bother with a tarball download and the
above mentioned steps would be useful.  This seems like a simple web site
usability issue that could be taken care of by a few links to the .txt files.

--chris