More spam :-( Was Re: [Mailman-Users] Would you like to receive information on registering your pet online for free?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Tue Mar 27 01:12:54 CEST 2001

    JCL> There is a logn standing tradition for support lists for
    JCL> products to not be closed to non-subscribers.

There are a couple of issues to consider, some technical, some not.

First, I think there /is/ a use for open-posting lists like
mailman-users which do not limit postings just from members.  This is
a policy decision and if I change it, then I know we will lose newbies
because of the overhead.  I definitely don't want to lose guys like
Chuq from this list, but there's a trade-off and I figure Chuq knows
how to filter out the spam on his end (or just ignore it).  Limiting
posts to members /might/ make sense for mailman-developers though.

Second, while Mailman does spam detection, spammers have mutated and
are making their way around the defenses.  Easy stuff like catching
Bcc:'s and the like, we already do.  How do we improve the spam
detection in Mailman next?  (this is not a question mailman-users need
discuss -- take it to mailman-developers please!).

Third, there are certain spam filters that the MTA can apply that
should catch more stuff.  I thought that the Exim installation on
{python,zope}.org was all hooked up to RBL, etc., but since spam is
getting through, it may not be working.  I'm hoping Ethan, our MTA
administrator can give more information here.

    DM> I'd estimate I get one spam every three weeks from
    DM> mailman-users.  I must get one every two minutes from
    DM> everywhere else.

I'm also in approximately the same category (lots more spam from
elsewhere than mailing lists).  It's annoying but I just hit `d' and
ignore it.  That's not to say we can't or shouldn't improve the
situation on both the MTA and MLM sides.  But keeping mailman-users
open for posting from all is still the right decision I believe.

-Barry