[Mailman-Users] trouble with wrapper

Peggy Wilkins mozart at lib.uchicago.edu
Fri May 4 22:18:44 CEST 2001

i have recently installed mailman version 2.0.3 on FreeBSD 4.3-RC via
the ports.  i use sendmail 8.11.3 and Apache 1.3.19.  the web
interface works great, but i can't get anything sent to mailman via
email to work; the mail disappears, and no errors are logged anywhere.

it looks to me like everything is set up correctly.  i set up the
recommended "test" list using newlist, and entered the following in
sendmail's aliases file:

test:                    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper post test"
test-admin:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner test"
test-request:            "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"
test-owner:              test-admin

i also set up mail.debug logging via syslog.conf.  the log entries via
syslog show that the messages sent to any of the "test" addresses as
above are received and delivered to wrapper via pipe, but no errors
are logged.

to try to debug this, i mv'd /usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper to
wrapper-bin, and wrote a shell script called "wrapper" to call it and
to log any errors and record wrapper-bin's return code.  this is the
script:

    #! /bin/sh
    exec 2>/tmp/wrapper.out
    /usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper-bin $*
    echo $? 1>&2

after sending mail to one of the test- addresses, this is the contents
of /tmp/wrapper.out:

0

so, it would appear that there are no errors produced, and it is
returning successfully!  yet, nothing happens to the mail, so i can't
successfully subscribe with confirmation, or send a message to the
list, or send mail to test-admin, or anything; it all simply
disappears into the ether...

if anyone has any idea what might be up, or has further ideas for
debugging, or if there is any further info i can provide, please let
me know!  (btw, i'd appreciate it if any replies to the list can be
cc'd to me since i am on the digest version.)

i should mention that my system has python 1.5.2 AND python 2.0
installed; the default python version (if called without a version
number) is 2.0.  this is the version that the wrapper binary knows
about.

thanks much.
__
Peggy Wilkins                                     mozart at lib.uchicago.edu
Sr. Systems Administrator                       sysadmin at lib.uchicago.edu
Digital Library Development Center      The University of Chicago Library