[Mailman-Users] Loooooonnnnnnnngggggg archive conversion...

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Fri May 4 05:22:20 CEST 2001

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:35:22PM -0500, Pug Bainter wrote:
>   This one has been running for 10 hours so far. It is doing things
>   [mostly mremaps()], but it takes way too long. This seemed to be the
>   case that once it got to a certain point it had trouble computing the
>   different threads. Right now it is doing the pipermail.pck and has been
>   for just over an hour.
>
>   How long would one expect a 116M mbox to convert? Are there thoughts
>   on improving performance of this conversion?

Pipermail is very inefficient and very memory hungry (I've had it run out or
Ram on a 512MB machine). The only real  solution is to suffer through it, or
not to use it and use monharc instead.

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:44:17PM -0500, Pug Bainter wrote:
> 1) Is there a way to extract only the members that are not set to nomail?

Another alternative to the script that was given to you is:
chef:/var/local/mailman/bin# ./dumpdb ../lists/test/config.db
(...)
    'user_options': {   'jneal at valinux.com': 8,
                        'lfriedman at valinux.com': 8,
                        'merlin at valinux.com': 24,
                        'rodmur at valinux.com': 8},

Each option is one bit.

> 2) Is there a way to link the archives of the hidden list with the
>    published list? While I have changed the symlink in archives/public,
>    I'm not sure if that is the correct way nor if it will last.

That should actually  be it. It will work until someone  tries to switch the
archives to private and back to public, which will reset the symlink.
Of course, you have two symlinks: list and list.mbox

Marc