[Mailman-Users] Maybe this is a FAQ, I'm not sure

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue May 8 07:56:42 CEST 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001 11:35:32 +0200
Marco van Tol <marco at tols.org> wrote:

> Hi, In the past I have tried to run a maillist using MajorDomo,
> but couldn't get it to prevent external people from mailing to
> lists by telnetting to port 25 of the mail server claiming to be
> anybody that is inside the list.

Given the current state of deployed technology, there is no proper
handling for this except hand moderatorating the list.  SMTP/TLS is
a potenial long term address, but its current use is small and
there's no guarantee that they chain of authentication extends back
to the original sender.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows