[Mailman-Users] Call for suggestions

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed May 9 01:01:22 CEST 2001

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> Before we start building this beast -- why?

    Load balancing.  I prefer having one server running mailman and having all
the lists on it, however this means that machine will also get hit pretty hard
when several lists get to receive/send messages.  Having a cluster of machine
that can handle incoming/outgoing msgs would solve this problem.  (I know for a
fact that (big ass) services like Yahoo do this.  If you do a 'nslookup
mx1.mail.yahoo.com', you'll get a series of servers returned.  Somehow,
somewhere, they all should tie back in to one DB somewhere, and I'm only
assuming it's done through NFS.  But, as you pointed out....

> Trying to keep the subscriber databases in sync across machines is going to
> be problematic.

    ...yes, I suppose that would be problematic.

    Short note: I'm ONLY trying to do this for mail.  The web interface will
still only be on one machine, and be accessible from that one machine.  Setting
up round-robin for the web server as well now means I'm dealing with two
different things.  Right now, I want to see IF it is possible, and how it will
perform.

--
W |
  |  I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  SysAdmin / Websmith                           .     800.441.3873 x130
  Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.             .        eFax 248.671.0909
  http://www.pcraft.com                  .         3550 Arapahoe Ave #6
  .................. .  .  .     .               Boulder, CO 80303, USA