[Mailman-Users] Re: remove this?

Bill Warner lww at ictech.net
Wed May 9 22:33:47 CEST 2001

At 12:15 AM 5/9/01 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>There is a critical difference.  X does allow you and even makes it
>very easy to do damned near anything you want, encluding being
>incredibly stupid and making bad decisions.  In a general light,
>this is not a Bad Thing.  One critical aspect however is that should
>you do one of those stupid things you only break/damage yourself
>(person running the broken app).  A perfect example is X server
>grabs.

But, grabbing is so much fun!

> > Unfortunately, if you don't buy the "mechanism, not policy"
> > approach then you probably won't buy this argument either.
>
>Actually I buy and agree with both arguments, I just consider them
>misplaced in this case.  They work very well elsewhere.

I think they are appropriate here too.  It just seems to me that an adamant
stance against configurability is actually more harmful to the stated goal
of promoting wider acceptance of 2369 than allowing a per-list
configuration would be.  Here's why I say that:

(a) Most mailman-owners will run with the defaults anyway, so all of their
messages will still be 2369ized.

(b) Those of us that have problems in this area can 2369ize our lists one,
or a few, at a time, where appropriate, and bring our users along at a rate
that we can manage.  Since only we can determine what that rate is, only we
can make that decision for ourselves.

So, bottom line, I agree that 2369 compliance is good for Mailman and a
worthy goal for all mailman-owners.  A per-list configuration option would
make it easier for me, and based on what I've read in the archive, others,
to migrate towards full 2369 compliance, and therefore more likely that
we'll do it.  That sounds like a good thing to me.

OTOH, a strident "hack it or take a hike" anti-configuration stance (some
of the messages in the archive are downright hostile) actually makes it
harder for me, and others, to migrate towards full 2369 compliance, which
means it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.  I'll simply hack the 2369
headers out by the roots and that will be the end of it as far as I'm
concerned.  And that, I submit, undermines the goal of rapid widespread
compliance.

Anyway, <shrug>, that's how the picture looks from where I sit.

>Trade offs.  The high road.  Those that leave are typically
>(experience) better off gone, and (experience) their replacements
>are much more valuable and numerous.

I don't disagree with anything you said here about FAQs, user education, or
customer/list member relations.  I think you are right on all counts.  The
problem is, that at this particular moment in time, I simply cannot afford
(in time or $$) to take the high road without just a little bit of help to
make doing so a little bit easier.  If I have to deal with this issue on an
all or nothing basis, it's going to be nothing.

In any case, Barry has said he'll consider the 2369 configuration issue for
2.1, and that's good enough for me!  I ask for nothing more.

> > We now return you to your regularly scheduled program about how to
> > get Mailman to run on the Linux flavor-of-the-day...
>
>Yea gods save us.

Doesn't seem likely. ;-)

--Bill