[Mailman-Users] big lists, big messages

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Sun May 13 03:03:51 CEST 2001

On 5/12/01 2:32 PM, "Eric Schmitz" <eschmitz at webbalah.net> wrote:

> Majordomo seems to be tripping over itself, and many
> of my subscribers are not receiving their newsletter. This is Very Bad,
> especially when the advertisers find out! :-(

I agree with JC -- make sure you know what's failing before you change list
servers, because if some other part of the system is broken, you don't want
to fix the wrong thing.

I ran lists larger than that on majordomo. You can run them on mailman,
also, but with 2.0, you need to set things up properly -- out of the box,
you may well have some problems with mailman and lists of that size. The two
issues are the single-threaded delivery (which means nothing else happens
while it's delivering that list, which can be a problem if the server does a
lot of different lists) and the length it takes to deliver, which can cause
qrunner locks to time out, which can lead to duplicated delivery and chaos
-- easy to fix by tweaking a few variables, if you know to look for it.

But make sure you know what the problem is first. I doubt it's majordomo, if
it's set up right.