[Mailman-Users] Desi-os maps spamming

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Tue May 15 18:37:55 CEST 2001

>>>>> "e" == ez  <emanzaman at hotmail.com> writes:

    e> As I am sure you are aware, yesterday thousands of users were
    e> spammed from the following
    e> e-dress:<http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/desi-os-maps>
    e> which seems to be linked with Mailman.

    e> As of yet, no-one has received either an explanation or an
    e> apology and I believe one should be forthcoming. Please could
    e> you explain to me the following:

    e> * How did this incidence occur?

    e> * Where did you get all the e-dresses from? No one subscribed
    e> to the list or gave permission for their emails to be passed on
    e> to your company.

    e> * Is there anything we can do to stop such an incidence
    e> occuring again?

    e> * Will you be issuing an apology and a guarantee that this
    e> shall not occur again?

    e> Please remove my e-dress from any lists you may have and please
    e> supply where you got my edress from. Thank you for your time.

You should be aware that while the Mailman software was used in this
incident, neither the Mailman developers nor the Mailman user
community had anything to do with it.  It would be like blaming Dell
because one of their computers was used to generate the original spam
message, or Microsoft because Outlook was used to compose it. ;)

-Barry