[Mailman-Users] can't auth to see list archives (debian, fix included)

Paul Schreiber pjschrei at undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 15 21:21:02 CEST 2001

config:
* I am using debian linux ("testing")
* I am using python 1.5.2 (though 2.0 is installed)
* I just updated to mailman 2.0.4 (was using 2.0.3) through debian's
apt-get

the problem occurs in all the browsers i tried:
* netscape/win
* IE 5.5/win
* IE 5/mac

I can't auth to see the list archives in Mailman. Here's what happens:
[1] go to the list home page
    http://foo.ca/mailman/listinfo/family

[2] click on "archives"
    http://foo.ca/cgi-bin/mailman/private/family/
    ^^^ why does the cgi-bin get added? ^^^

[3] enter userid and password
    -->see "thread/date/author/subject table"
    http://foo.ca/cgi-bin/mailman/private/family/

[4] click on "by thread"
    URL changes to:
    http://foo.ca/cgi-bin/mailman/private/family/2001-May/thread.html

    but I am prompted for my password/userid again

steps [3] and [4] loop infintely.

If I maunally change the URL to
  http://foo.ca/mailman/private/family/2001-May/thread.html

then it works fine. argh! [is this a debian packaging bug?]

In /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py, I have:
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/cgi-bin/mailman/private'

removing "cgi-bin" fixes it.

Paul

         shad 96c / 4B CS / mac activist / eda / fumbler
fan of / jewel / sophie b. / sarah slean / steve poltz / emm gryner /
       / x-files / buffy / dawson's creek / habs / bills / 49ers /

         t h i n k  d i f f e r e n t.

"Indeed, it would not be an exaggeration to describe the history
 of the computer industry for the past decade as a massive effort
 to keep up with Apple." -- Byte, December 1994