[Mailman-Users] Load balancing over two machines

matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk
Wed May 23 17:07:34 CEST 2001

After spending a tedious afternoon looking through the mailman archives I've
found this question asked twice but never replied to (at least on the list).
At the moment I have a solitary machine running mailman.  Bar the long wish-list
all is fine.

However in the new infrastructure about to be implemented I have two identical
machines dedicated to list handling.

At the moment the idea is to duplicate everything and keep in sync ewither by
having the appropriate directories as NFS mounts from a 3rd machine or with
rdist.  One machine will be in service the other resting idle as what will
essentially be a "hot" spare.  In case the first fails reconfigure the IP
address of the second, initiate mailman and whach it take over.

All well and fine.

But it rather offends me to have a perfectly good machine sitting idle doing
nothing but awaiting the day.

So is there an effective way of load balancing across two machines?

Matthew