[Mailman-Users] created private, then changed to public, lists not being advertised

Chad M. Stewart chad at balius.com
Thu Nov 1 14:13:05 CET 2001

I built mailman using the following

./configure --prefix=/home/mailman \
  --with-var-prefix=/home/www/sites/lists.balius.com/docs/ \
  --with-mail-gid=yy \
  --with-cgi-gid=xxx

I changed the system wide default to be private lists.  I then setup a list
and changed it to be a publicly-advertised list, yet it does not show up.

I verified that the user under which the webserver runs has permissions to
read the var-prefix directory, to be really sure I allowed indexes on that
directory for a test, I could see them.

Here's the output from strings run over listinfo

/lib/ld-linux.so.2
__gmon_start__
libc.so.6
strcpy
getgid
printf
strerror
getegid
execve
malloc
vsnprintf
fprintf
strcat
__deregister_frame_info
setregid
openlog
closelog
strncmp
syslog
stderr
__errno_location
exit
_IO_stdin_used
__libc_start_main
__register_frame_info
GLIBC_2.0
PTRh
PPSh
,WVS
/home/mailman/scripts/
/home/mailman
/usr/bin/python
<head>
<title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>
The expected gid of the Mailman CGI wrapper did
not match the gid as set by the Web server.
configured and installed incorrectly.  Please
read the INSTALL instructions again, paying close
attention to the <tt>--with-cgi-gid</tt> configure
option.  This entry is being stored in your syslog:
<pre>
</pre>
Failure to exec script. WANTED gid %ld, GOT gid %ld.  (Reconfigure to take
%ld?)
PATH=
PYTHONHOME=
PYTHONPATH=