[Mailman-Users] why can't people see my lists?

jgo john at nisus.com
Fri Nov 2 00:27:33 CET 2001

> Jon Carnes wrote:
>> 2001-10-31 10:17:00 -0800 J C Lawrence <claw at 2wire.com> wrote:
>>> Wed, 2001-10-31 11:31:24 -0500 Joshua S Freeman <jfreeman at connix.com>
>>>wrote:

> the assumtion that the lists will be found off the home
> directory in "lists/".

>>> and. for each of them, in the Privacy Options page I have
>>> "Advertise this list when people ask what lists are on the
>>> machine?" set to "Yes". Isn't that where I set this feature?

>> Check and correct the value of "Base URL for Mailman web interface"
>> for each list.  It is currently set to something other than,
>> "http://www.mysql.org/mailman/".

Is this the
web_page_url = 'whateverURL'
that you can see by doing a bin/config_list -o showmefile listname
and then looking in the showmefile?

Because, when I try to use that URL or a URL derived from it,
as Joshua mentioned, above, I just get "Not Found".  And the 2
"listinfo" files I find
find ~mailman -name listinfo -print
are non-text files in the bin/cgi-bin and src directories.

If he were to set it thus:
web_page_url = 'http://www.mysql.org/mailman/fred/george/
(assuming he has sub-directories in ~mailman of fred and
fred/george) then is there anything that would prevent that
from working as well?

Is there something more to mapping the URL to the locations of the files?
At what step of the installation process does this get established?
(Is it when one runs ./configure or when one runs   make install  ?)
They seem to be controlled by the --prefix=  and --with-var-prefix=
and --exec-prefix= options, so where it looks would need to be
governed by those, wouldn't they?

John G. Otto, Eagle Scout, Knight, Cybernetic Praxeologist
Existence, Consciousness, Identity, Life, Liberty, Property, Privacy, Justice