[Mailman-Users] Question about a function capability

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 15:00:39 CET 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 13:24, Marcella Wright wrote:
> Is there any way to show the subscribers e-mail address in the
> TO: field?  This is a problem for me.  I need this field to show
> their e-mail address not the list address and not all subscribers
> address just the person who is getting the subscription.  I don't
> see a way to do this but I'm new to using this product.  Any help
> or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[Please post in normally formatted text, not HTML - I had to edit the
above quote to make it format sensibly]

Mailing lists typically send exactly the same message to many
recipients.  You are asking that the message be different for each
recipient (even if it is just the headers you are changing), which is a
different functionality.

Mailman does not support this functionality.  It may be possible for you
to add it by making it strip the recipient headers, then building a new
copy of the message for each recipient at the point where you pass the
messages to the MTA.  However you are going to have to do a significant
amount of coding to acheive this.

The other question is why do you need the To: header to show the
recipient address - are your subscribers too stupid to remember their
own addresses?  If you are trying to work round anti-spam measures then
you have other problems already.

	Nigel.