[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman wrapper not sending out mail

Michelle Brownsworth michelle at primelogic.com
Sun Nov 11 21:01:44 CET 2001

Guy Berliner writes:

>Hi Michelle,
>Did you ever solve your mailman problem? I have a similar problem,
>everything seems fine, but mailman mysteriously refuses to send out
>mail. When I post to a new list, the post appears as expected in the
>archives, but mysterious errors appear in the /var/mailman/logs/smtp-failure
>log file, as well as /var/mailman/logs/posts and /var/mailman/logs/smtp

Yes, thanks to some help from the list.  Turns out mailman's crontab
had gotten mangled somehow, so the executables weren't being
scheduled properly.  Check mailman's crontab and if you don't see the
following results then that's your problem.

# su - mailman
$ crontab -l

# At 5PM every day, mail reminders to admins as to pending requests
0 17 * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/checkdbs
#
# Noon, mail digests for lists that do periodic as well as threshhold delivery.
0 12 * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests
#
# 5 AM on the first of each month, mail out password reminders.
0 5 1 * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/mailpasswds
#
# Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail.  You can comment this one out
# if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
# or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S
/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news
#
# At 3:27am every night, regenerate the gzip'd archive file.  Only
# turn this on if the internal archiver is used and
# GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES is false in mm_cfg.py
27 3 * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
#
# Retry failed deliveries once per minute.
* * * * * /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/qrunner

.\\ichelle
Michelle Brownsworth
System Administrator
PrimeLogic Corporation