[Mailman-Users] Question about after setup

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 06:15:42 CET 2001

On Monday 12 November 2001 23:55, Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Monday 12 November 2001 22:11, Joel Webb wrote:
> > After the setup of mailman how do you subscribe to the list without
> > adding in aliases into the /etc/aliases file?
> >
> > I already have mailman and mailman-owner but do I have to put in
> > anything else that points the email requests to the specified list??
> >
> > Somebody help me
>
> You can add folks via the web interface, but without the aliases, you
> could not forward mail to the list... at least not easily.
>
> The aliases redirect emails into an executable script.  Without the
> aliases, you would have to run the executable script manually on a
> hand-crafted* email.
>
> *hand-crafted like in the days of Samuel Adams when they used to carve
> emails into the chared bark of old sycamore trees...
>
> Jon Carnes

Sorry, its been a long day...  Your question is simply "how do I add users
to a Mailman list?"  Right?

First create a list.  Go to ~mailman/bin and run the command "newlist".
You'll need to specify the name of an email list that you want created.
Mailman will generate the list and then output four lines that need to go
into /etc/aliases.  You can just cut and paste these right into
/etc/aliases.  Then be sure to run "newaliases" so that the aliases are
moved into aliases.db (the hash table used by sendmail).

Now you need to go the web-based Admin pages of the list you just created
and edit the options to match your lists function.  After that, you are
ready to add users to the list.

Well there are a lot of ways to add users:
  - Add folks under Membership Option in the web-based Admin interface,
  - Add folks using the command scripts in ~mailman/bin (sync_members works
great),
  - Have folks add themselves by sending a subscribe message via email to
the list (send email to list_name-request with "subscribe" as the subject),
  - Have folks visit the Listinfo pages on your webserver and add
themselves via the web interface.

Those are the major ways that folks get their email into a Mailman list.

Once you subscribe to a list, you will recieve a Welcome note that explains
how to access the list for normal activity.

Hope this one is more to the mark of your question!

Jon Carnes