[Mailman-Users] Vacation email loop

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Sun Nov 11 06:43:19 CET 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 11:19:15PM -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Monday 05 November 2001 10:47, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 05:22:53PM -0500, Clark Cooper wrote:
> > > I had a situation where a user on one of my lists had the vacation
> > > utility turned on and a posting to the list resulted in a looped email
> > > because the vacation email response was then posted and on and on.  The
> > > reply-to posts option has been set to "the list" and I would like to
> > > keep this setting.  Is
> >
> > Outside of removing the reply to, which will catch many but not all of
> > those problems, my usual answer is to blackhole the server the Emails
> > came from, and send the following to the postmaster:
> > http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/autoresponders.txt
> >
> > Broken autoresponders should not be tolerated.
>
> Don't forget the nomail option.  As admin, you can edit the membership
> options of the offender and turn off their mail.

No, that isn't a solution.
If their mail server/autoresponders are broken, I don't want to see any more
mail from them until they fix it (and they usually, even if you block them).

They might never fix their system, but they're not my problem anymore.

Of course, you do  want to try and educate them (i.e. give  them a chance to
fix it), but not while their mail is creating loops.

Marc