[Mailman-Users] gzip full mbox archives

Jackie Meese jackie.m at vt.edu
Thu Nov 15 16:09:24 CET 2001

I'm not on the list, so please cc: me on follow ups.

I've been wondering why it is that the mbox downloads of archives
produced by mailman are only gzipped for the smaller unit (ie. monthly),
but the entire mbox of the list isn't gzipped for those who want to d/l
and search/thread/whatever the entire mailing list archive.  It seems to
make sense to do this, since we should all know that text compresses
quite nicely.

(I've tried getting mod_gzip to compress the d/l, but that would only
work for my server, and I d/l archives form other sites.)

Is there some reason this can't just be added to nightly_gzip?  I've
only dabbled in python, so I don't exactly feel qualified to submit a
patch, but how about just uncompression before processing and
re-compressing it after processing?
--
Jackie Meese	Institute for Distance and Distributed Learning, Va Tech
Phone: 231-3682	3027 Torgersen Hall MailCode:0445 http://www.iddl.vt.edu/