[Mailman-Users] Dissapearing messages

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Mon Nov 26 19:28:47 CET 2001

And another possibility.  The recipients themselves may be operating
spam filters, for example procmail filters, which screen out messages
not apparently addressed to them.

To operate such a filter successfully, exemptions need to be written
in for lists.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:19:58PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> There are a few reasons for this. The SPAM filter is valid. I had a similar
> problem with majordomo. All email to my recipients at bellsouth.net were
> being bounced and unknown user. When I moved the list over to mailman
> (and Postfix) the problem was eliminated.
>
> Another possibility, is that the postfix binaries on Red Hat 7.1 are
> broken. There is a FAQ on it. I would suggest that you build postfix from
> sources.
>
> Also, postfix itself has some aggressive SPAM filters. I found several of
> my users were not receiving email because of this. We ended up relaxing
> the SPAM filters. (I don't think that this is your problem though).
> On 26 Nov 2001, at 12:53, David Ball wrote:
>
> > Hi there
> >
> > Some of our users never receive messages from the list, despite the fact
> > that I can see the message leaving our system as normal.
> >
> > This always affects the same users, and there are no error messages or
> > bounces received by us or them. Messages sent from the console arrive
> > correctly, and other bounce messages are received correctly too (ie
> > address x at y.z is valid, fails to receive mail from the list, but
> > receives mail sent directly from the console, a at y.z is invalid, and
> > returns a bounce when sent from the console, other list members bounces
> > etc. are received)
> >
> > I am using Postfix on rh7.1, and all outgoing mail is relayed via
> > smtp.bt.net
> >
> > I am completely baffled - anyone got any ideas?
> >
> > DaveB

> Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
> Associate Director
> Boston Linux and Unix user group
> http://www.blu.org

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/