[Mailman-Users] Re: Sendmail and virtual hosts

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Mon Nov 26 20:37:34 CET 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:18:39AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 12:12 PM 11/26/01 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> >    In your virtusertable:
> >
> >    #mailing lists
> >    test at hank.org          test
> >    test-admin at hank.org    test-admin
> >    test-request at hank.org  test-request
> >    test-owner at hank.org    test-owner
> >
> >    #catchall rule
> >    @hank.org              moseley+%1
>
> Thanks, that's what was I worried about.  ;)
>
> Do people use shell scripts to do all this work?

Some do.

Such scripts are penny-ante stuff, not at all hard to write,
but unfortunately, the desired result varies a lot from site to site.

For example, ours go in a file called /etc/aliases.d/lists, and we
add a couple of aliases that handle reasonable misinterpretations
based on how other list managers do it, of how to get mail to the
list owner.  The postprocessing varies from what's shown below,
too.

> su - mailman
> bin/newlist foo
> su
> <edit /etc/mail/aliases>
> newaliase
> <edit /etc/mail/virtusertable>
> makemap hash virtusertable < virtusertable
> <restart sendmail>
>
> Actually, the problem with that is the bin/newlist should be done last as
> it sends mail to the new list admin, and if done first, the list isn't
> really setup yet.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>

> Bill Moseley
> mailto:moseley at hank.org

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/