[Mailman-Users] Multi-characters in subject

Reed Lai reed at icpdas.com
Tue Nov 27 03:02:08 CET 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:35:52PM -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
> On 26 November 2001, Reed Lai said:
> > I just found multi-characters in subject, for example,
> > a big5 Chinese encording that came from Mutt mail client
> > 
> > 	Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C3=F6=A9=F3=BC=D0=C3D=AA=BA=A4=A4=A4=E5=BDs=BDX?=
>               ^^^^^^^^^^
> This means the subject line is encoded with ISO-8859-1, aka Latin-1.
> This encoding works great for English, French, German, Spanish, and the
> other major Western European languages.  If you can use to encode
> Chinese, I'll eat my shorts.  ;->

I know that problem of iso-8859-1 encoding, but I can't understand
that why sometimes the subject can be translated correctly,
sometimes can't be for the same subject.  I even changed the
"iso-8859-1" with "big5" and found it was no matter with the
result.  I checked other mailman lists used in big5 community, for
example XCIN (http://www.linux.org.tw/mailman/listinfo/xcin), and
found they also had same problem.  Maybe, this is a problem from
Python or Regular Express... the last new message in same thread
sometimes made whole thread was translated correctly but later,
strangely, failed again...

Reed Lai http://w3.icpdas.com/reed/ | ICPDAS http://www.icpdas.com
GnuPG (DSA/ElGamal) 0x7199EAD3 Reed Lai (key #1) <reed at icpdas.com>
KeyServer: search.keyserver.net |  HAM: BV4QO | NIC-handle: RL7000

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list