[Mailman-Users] sh: wrapper not available for sendmail programs

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Fri Nov 30 17:36:36 CET 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:04:44AM -0300, Agustina Buccella wrote:

> I installed mailman in Suse 7.1 with sendmail 8.10.2. When I confirm my
> subscription to my "probandolista" list  I get the following mail delivery:
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> sh: wrapper not available for sendmail programs
> 554 5.0.0 "|/etc/smrsh/wrapper mailcmd probandolista"... Service unavailable
>
> I configured the /etc/mail/aliases with the following options:
>
> probandolista:           "|/usr/mailman/mail/wrapper post probandolista"
> probandolista-admin:     "|/usr/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner
> probandolista"
> probandolista-request:   "|/etc/smrsh/wrapper mailcmd probandolista"
> probandolista-owner:     probandolista-admin
>
> and the /etc/smrsh directory:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           25 Nov 28 15:40 wrapper ->
> /usr/mailman/mail/wrapper*
>
> Any idea?
> Thanks!!

The same idea that works a good part of the time for anything odd.
Search google.com.

http://www.google.com

key in

  smrsh sendmail

voila!  10,400 results.  On the first page,

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/chap22sec182.html

more than you ever want to know about smrsh.  Other links also
may have information.

The Python.org website has a mailing list search engine which nets
270 hits on "smrsh", mostly to mailman-users.   The first says:

> Try putting a symlink in your /etc/smrsh directory pointing to wrapper:

> cd /etc/smrsh
> ln -s /home/mailman/mail/wrapper wrapper

Finally, did you try

  man smrsh

??

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/