[Mailman-Users] Suggestions for Queuing bulk mailings?

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Mon Oct 1 22:08:58 CEST 2001

Hi Jim,

I recently made a post to the effect of the speed of qmail - I have it running on a junk machine that nobody else wanted (see the respect Linux gets around here?! geez); it's an old HP Vectra workstation, p200 (233? I forget) with 64MB ram, and it queues up all thirty thousand messages in about five minutes. Of the ones for which we're able to get an immediate SMTP connect, they are all gone out in approximately
fifteen minutes. The several hundred users with mailservers to which we can't get an immediate connect (from any mail server in the building, not just qmail) sometimes take hours to send, but the fault lies somewhere between point A and B (I suspect *at* point B in most instances) and not with qmail.

A school district nearby to our office is handling fifty thousand outbound messages a day via qmail on a P133 with 128MB. That same box is also handling pop and real-time virus scanning on both inbound and outbound mail. Their speed, they tell me, is fantastic. They've only had it bog down once (some doofus had a hundred students [teachers? don't remember] upload their very-hefty PowerPoint presentations all at
the same time), and have never had it crash.

How do ya like them apples? :-)

As to the timing thing, you can use Perl (and presumably Python, though that's not my main bag) to send mail for you. That's another custom component I've implemented with surprisingly fantastic results. Basically on Tues/Thurs afternoon, I drop the mail message into a text file in the appropriate directory, and then at the right time, cron starts the script, which runs out, retrieves the message, and sends it
to the appropriate addresses. (If it can't find the message dated for that day, it dies, so on Thanksgiving Day, for example, I don't have to do anything special, it just won't run because no message file is available.) If you'd be interested in something like that, drop me a line.

=)
Amanda