[Mailman-Users] TrendMicro Interscan Virus Wall for Linux

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 17 07:04:18 CEST 2001

> Last think I could think of was to disable the Interscan
> VirusWall from (Trend Micro).
> This time everything worked well.
> No is there anyone out there using Interscan?
> I called tech Trend Micro support and so far there is no
> work around.
> Do you know of any?
> As far as I can comprehend; when Interscan is active, it
> disable the domaintable, access.db, trusted-users.db,
> IP_allow and mailertable.db
> and instead uses it's own intscan.ini file to recognise
> domains, mailertable, trusted-users and ip_allow.
> I don't see anywhere talking about access.
> In the access file there are hosts that are allowed to
> RELAY.
>
> okay, end of my gasbagging :))
>
> Please let me know if there is other approach.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Vania

Glad to hear that you traced down the problem!  An alternative that pops
into my head immediately is to move Mailman on to a secondary mailserver
(an internal one) that does not use Interscan.  Then set Interscan to allow
any relays from the internal server.

Setting up an internal mailserver can be a bit tricky, but it adds some
redundancy and load sharing to your setup and allows you to do a lot of
things you would not ordinarily do with just an external mailserver.

I run 3 internal mailservers and two external ones at my company, and I run
Mailman on one of the internal servers and on one of the external servers.

The beauty of a mailserver is that it really doesn't have to be a big
powerful box.  Any old PII should do the job nicely.

Hope this helps - Jon Carnes