[Mailman-Users] Digest time...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 17 16:34:40 CEST 2001

> I can see how to change the global time that digests are
> sent, that's a quick and easy change to the crontab.
>
> What I don't see is how to have different times for
> different lists.  Does anyone have any suggestions for
> my troublesome lusers?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

That's a fun one....  Lets see, the script that Cron kicks off is:
  ~mailman/cron/senddigests

If you copy that script to two new files:
  senddigests8
  senddigests12

You can set cron to kick one off at 8am and the other off at noon.  First
you will need to edit each file to specify which lists to process.
Currently main is defined as:

def main():
    for listname in Utils.list_names():
        mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
        if mlist.digest_send_periodic:
            send_list_digest(mlist)
===

You'll have to learn enough python to tell it to bypass certain lists.
This should be fairly easy to brute force.

Of course to be elegant, you should create a Utils.list_names_nooners and a
Utils.list_names_morners from Utils.list_names, and then just use those for
each of the new scripts.

===

I would guess the whole thing would take 4 to 6 hours to do (starting with
"I have a clue, but know no python" and ending with "Dude, I never knew
Python was so easy!")

Good Luck - Jon Carnes