[Mailman-Users] eth0 Failure

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 05:07:46 CEST 2001

On Monday 22 October 2001 23:49, tom hilton wrote:
> Hi, I am brand new to linux, and trying to configure my install.  I have
> a Toshiba Laptop running dual boot with W98 system,  I was wondering if
> anyone had any suggestions for this problem;  When booting the system
> gives me delayed initialization of eth0, and error messages saying no
> high memory resources available.   Looking at the system log, the system
> probes the two high memory areas set as include in the /etc/pcmcia/config
> file, and excludes the entire area for both pieces.  I have no idea why
> this is happening.  Has anyone else run across this.  My ethernet card is
> a Linksys 100/10 card, that works fine in windows.  I am using tulip in
> my alias file, I cant ping anything, always get network unavailable
> error.  are there any commands or programs that analyze I/O usage in
> Linux, or that can restrict the system from probing and excluding these
> areas set aside for my ethernet card?  when i run cardctl and cardconfig,
> I never get any irq or io info.  I dont know if PnP is messing things up
> or not.  any ideas?  Thanks for your help.

<Gentle nudge> This is the wrong group for a hardware config problem in
Linux </Gn>

Check out your local LUG (linux users group).  You will be able locate it
with the help of:
  http://www.google.com

There are specific help HOW-TO's for toshiba's that are as specific as your
Toshiba.  You will probably need to look up your laptop on one of those.
The problem is probably with your PCMCIA, and the answer to your question
is probably as simple as entering your BIOS and toggling the way your
Toshiba represents it PCMCIA slot to the computer's OS.

BTW: your LUG will need to know what type of laptop you have, and what
distribution of Linux you are using.  Since you are a beginning user, I
would highly recommend Mandrake 8.2.  The auto-setup is very comprehensive
and complete, and the distribution is highly compatible with RedHat.

Jon Carnes