[Mailman-Users] postfix question

Devdas Bhagat devdas at worldgatein.net
Fri Oct 26 16:25:16 CEST 2001

On 26/10/01 10:11 -0400, Camel - Jay S. Curtis wrote:
> Anyone have a sure-fire method for replacing sendmail with postfix??
> (or know where the HowTo or Docs are...)

I rather recommend reading the INSTALL file that comes with postfix and
the FAQ.
http://www.postfix.org
Download postfix
Read the documentation.
run make as required, do not run make install

If you have two mail servers (or can setup one temporary spare machine).
Stop sendmail in daemon mode on the primary MX.
Set smarthost to point to the other machine
mailq -f
(This saves the trouble of manually saving the old sendmail binaries and
config file as mentioned in the INSTALL document, then periodically
flushing the queue).

Once your queue is empty, uninstall sendmail (rpm -e sendmail or
whatever is suitable to your system).

Run make install.
/usr/sbin/postfix start

Thats all