[Mailman-Users] Backing Up / Restoring / Recovery Questions

Jeffrey M. Kenton jkenton at iastate.edu
Fri Oct 26 17:48:54 CEST 2001

Hey everyone.

I have Mailman 2.0.6 running, and things are going well with it. The
server that I originally put Mailman on is underpowered to do the
other things it is also doing, so I want to move mailman to another
server. Now, to prevent having to reinvent the wheel for the 30+
lists I now administer, I have several questions (standing caveats: I
have read the documentation and tried running some of the scripts in
the bin directory, I just want to know if I am overlooking something
obvious):

1. Is there a way to backup the list information, including addresses
and list configurations?

2. Is there a way to restore the configuration (list members, list
setups etc.)?

If it is as easy as tar'ing the /home/mailman directory and
extracting it onto another machine, that is the easiest. However, it
seems that since I had to compile some code, that solution seems to
not be the best one in this case.

Perhaps I have missed the Mailman Admin Guide somewhere?

Take care.

Jeff
Jeff Kenton                College of Education Tech Support
N058A Lagomarcino                        jkenton at iastate.edu
Ames, IA 50011                                  515 294 0228

    "Security is a process, not a product." - Bruce Schneier