[Mailman-Users] configuring umbrella-list summary

A.Balmashnov a.balmashnov at tue.nl
Mon Sep 3 20:58:28 CEST 2001

Hello mailman-users,

I'm going to write down the way of managing umbrella-list. I've found
that there are couple of tricky things which is not known for novice in
mail-list management. May be this way is not optimal and not correct
,)
I think that you always can explain to me what I'm doing wrong.

Let we have two lists L1 and L2 that we would like to mention in our
umbrella list (let say UL) at domain server.com

General option for all lists:
  Privacy:
    Must posts be approved by an administrator?
    (NO)

Steps:

1. Create new list UL with options
   General:
     Send password reminders to, eg, "-owner" address instead of
     directly to user.  (YES)
     ; if this option set to YES - this list is umbrella_list %) Am I
     ; right?
   Privacy:
     Restrict posting privilege to list members? (member_posting_only)
     (YES)
     Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to or cc
     destination names for this list.
     ([Uu][Ll]@[Ss][Ee][Rr][Vv][Ee][Rr].[Cc][Oo][Mm])

2. Subscribe lists L1 and L2 for list UL

3. Change the options for L1
   Privacy:
     Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to or cc
     destination names for this list.
     ([Uu][Ll]@[Ss][Ee][Rr][Vv][Ee][Rr].[Cc][Oo][Mm]
      [Ll]1@[Ss][Ee][Rr][Vv][Ee][Rr].[Cc][Oo][Mm]
     )
     ; to allow direct posting of messages from the list UL to the L1

4. Change the options for L2
   Privacy:
     Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to or cc
     destination names for this list.
     ([Uu][Ll]@[Ss][Ee][Rr][Vv][Ee][Rr].[Cc][Oo][Mm]
      [Ll]2@[Ss][Ee][Rr][Vv][Ee][Rr].[Cc][Oo][Mm]
     )
     ; to allow direct posting of messages from the list UL to the L2

5. Change the options for UL
   Privacy:
     Addresses of members accepted for posting to this list without
     implicit approval requirement. (See "Restrict ... to list
     members" for whether or not this is in addition to allowing
     posting by list members
     (Add here a members of lists L1 and L2)

So, after this steps you can also subscribe a members (not a lists)
for UL (but only through the Web-interface, I guess).

Is it Ok?

Thank you for your attention.

--
Best regards,