[Mailman-Users] Bulk/ Announce question

Ricardo F. Kustner ricardo at rixhq.nu
Mon Sep 10 23:56:01 CEST 2001

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:21:35 +0200
Jaco Lockhorst <jaco at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Bounce Handling

Since Mailman hands the messages over to the MTA on the localhost and it's
standard procedure for a MTA to try redeliver a message for a certain
period of time, I don't see much difference... Unless Lyris tries to
redeliver even when it gets "mailbox not found" errors? Which would seem
kinda odd to me...

> However decisions to unsubscribe seem to be based on the number of days
> or messages in sequence that were bounced. This is not effective for an
> ezine. Most ezines only sent out one message per week/month and are
serious > about making sure those few messages get delivered to all
subscribers.

You can tweak with the timing if that's what you want... though it's the
MTA's job to try to redeliver messages (if you want your MTA to keep
trying more often and/or for a longer period I'm sure it's possible to
configure that)

> The second issue that concerns us is the list of subscribers. It would
> be a disaster if spammers got this list with 30.000 subscribers. I think
you
> need to get root access to see the Mailman subscribers list.

If you have the listadmin password you can get it through the webui
(though not directly download it)

> However, hackers do get root access sometimes and it would be better if
the
> list was also encrypted.

That's kind of a weird way of looking at system security... if your data
is that secret, you'd better prevent root access from the 'net
altogether... If your system gets comprimised I'd be worried about more
than just the subscriberslist.

> Maybe with a few additional features -as suggested above- Mailman can
> also help the users in the announcement / ezine category.

For a real specific setup you might need to make some changes...
I believe the new 2.1 code will have some more specific announce list
options, but it won't include everything you wish... but then, the source
is available :)

--
Regards,

Ricardo