[Mailman-Users] Moving lists to a new server

Mike Barnes mike at grouse.net.au
Wed Sep 12 08:59:25 CEST 2001

I have a slight problem with an installation/upgrade.

The nutshell version is that the whole setup was packed up and moved
from server A to server B, and upgraded from 1.1 to 2.0.6 in the
process. Everything went OK except for one small thing.

The base path of the installation changed from /localhome/mailman to
/var/mailman and while we're mostly functional there are errors cropping
up related to the archive paths. After doing some digging and a couple
of recursive greps, I've discovered there is a reference to
/localhome/mailman kept in the config.db file under lists/listname.

If I put in a symlink from /localhome/mailman to /var/mailman, no
errors. A newly created list has no problems.

So - what's the format of that db file, anyway? I know bugger all about
Python, so I'm not getting much from flipping through the source. Why is
there a field in there that can't be edited from the admin tools? Why
does it need the path from a config file for an individual list when it
should surely pull it from a common config?

(I feel like a three year old  ... why, why, why? Sorry.)

Anyway - I have about 30 lists to deal with, so if someone could suggest
a solution for me, I'd be a much happier person. :)

Thanks,
Mike.