[Mailman-Users] "Maximum messages per hour" not working?

John W Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Sep 20 16:49:09 CEST 2001

At 15:54 +0200 9/20/2001, Matthias Leisi wrote:
>'m confused about the "Maximum number of messages your list gets in an
>hour"-Setting under the "Bounce options" (max_posts_between_bounces). Is
>this setting meant to limit the number of messages to a list within an hour,
>or does it have a different meaning?
>
>The name of the variable and the descriptive text seem to be somewhat
>contradictory.

It has to do with bounce processing.  Two bounces a week apart from one
address aren't very significant on a list like this one (with several
messages per hour).  They are highly significant on a list with one message
a week.  It's a hint to the bounce processing (and could probably be named
and described better:  I have the feeling that the bounce processing has
advanced since the setting was created, named, and described).

It doesn't control the rate of message flow.

  --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA