[Mailman-Users] some newbie questions

Marcelo Assis sema.marcelo at telemigcelular.com.br
Thu Aug 1 15:27:56 CEST 2002

Hi ALL!

I´d like to ask you experts a little help on mailman!

First of all i must say that i have no linux knowledge and never worked
with mailman before (already checked its adm panels, but nothing more).

We currently have 3 mailing lists hosted at Yahoo Groups, and we need to
move them out of there, because the service is getting worse day by day. So
we are looking for the mailing list server soft that better suit our needs.

I tried to find this information on faqs and documentation, but i´d like to
double check with you Mailman heavy users, because sometimes there´s a
"alternative" way of doing some configurations that officialy are not
possible.

So, i would like to know if with Mailman i can do the following things in
my lists:

1- can we set ONE indivual member into moderated mode, so we can
approve/deny all his messages before they get to the list, instead of
putting the WHOLE list in moderated mode?

2- can we set scheduled messages to be sent, like every week, every two
weeks,
every month, etc? like a "list rules message" sent to every member when
they subscribe and a "why did u leave?" message sent to every unsubscriber?

3- hability to define a filter, where if certain words appear on the
subject
or message body  make that messages immediatly hold down for approval or
bounced to the moderators?

Please, bear in mind that we WONT have sheel acount on the linux box that
might run the mailing list server, so we wont be able to do anything that
might requires a direct login and any sort of configuration on the linux
box. All we will have is access to the web panel of mailman.

I would like to apologize in advance if this questions are trully basic and
if they are already avaliable in other places, but as i said, i wanted to
double check with experienced users and get their opinions.

Thank you very much for any kind of help!

all the best!

marcelo