[Mailman-Users] some newbie questions

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Thu Aug 1 19:27:15 CEST 2002

* Marcelo Assis <sema.marcelo at telemigcelular.com.br> [20020801 16:35]: wrote:
> Hi ALL!
>
> I´d like to ask you experts a little help on mailman!
>
> First of all i must say that i have no linux knowledge and never worked
> with mailman before (already checked its adm panels, but nothing more).
>
> We currently have 3 mailing lists hosted at Yahoo Groups, and we need to
> move them out of there, because the service is getting worse day by day. So
> we are looking for the mailing list server soft that better suit our needs.
>
> I tried to find this information on faqs and documentation, but i´d like to
> double check with you Mailman heavy users, because sometimes there´s a
> "alternative" way of doing some configurations that officialy are not
> possible.
>
> So, i would like to know if with Mailman i can do the following things in
> my lists:
>
> 1- can we set ONE indivual member into moderated mode, so we can
> approve/deny all his messages before they get to the list, instead of
> putting the WHOLE list in moderated mode?
>
> 2- can we set scheduled messages to be sent, like every week, every two
> weeks,
> every month, etc? like a "list rules message" sent to every member when
> they subscribe and a "why did u leave?" message sent to every unsubscriber?
>
> 3- ability to define a filter, where if certain words appear on the
> subject or message body  make that messages immediatly hold down for approval or
> bounced to the moderators?

I believe I've seen all those in Mailman-2.1b2

> Please, bear in mind that we WONT have sheel acount on the linux box that
> might run the mailing list server, so we wont be able to do anything that
> might requires a direct login and any sort of configuration on the linux
> box. All we will have is access to the web panel of mailman.

I guess I saw those opts in the Web UI.

> I would like to apologize in advance if this questions are trully basic and
> if they are already avaliable in other places, but as i said, i wanted to
> double check with experienced users and get their opinions.

2.1b2 is the way to go.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  <wash at wananchi.com>    "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake
him up.