[Mailman-Users] Wishlist Items

Tom Whiting wolf at wolfstream.net
Tue Aug 13 00:16:45 CEST 2002

> (1) On subscription, the email sent out requires the user to ACTIVATE the
> mailing request before they actually get added to the list. This is to
> address an issue where people are sometimes registered without their
> consent!
If you'll go into the mailing list options, I believe there is a setting (for
your individual list) where subscription will be one of three choices:
A> admin approval
B> confirmation (you reply via email before you're subscribed)
C> confirmation + admin approval
D> Open subscription.
I know, that was four (and maybe I'm wrong.. I don't have access to the
mailman cgi-bin right now, as I'm re-installing OS related stuff). So I can't
count. However, I am 99.9999999% positive those are there.
Browse your web interface to the list a bit for those.

> (2) A feature that allows a user to register someone else (a friend) with
> an Introduction ADDED to the subscription email that is sent. So I could
> subscribe a friend and add a personal messge so they know I sent this to
> them ...
VERY VERY not good idea (though that's just me). If someone subscribed me to a
list, I'd seriously be upset. Why? because it's generally rude to subscribe
someone else to a mailing list that is (generally) just spam. Who says X
person is interested in Y mailing list anyways?

> Last of all I have a general question which I do not see addressed in the
> FAQ - how is a request like this handled and is there any feedback so I can
> tell if this request is going anywhere anytime soon?

THAT is a good question, one I haven't found out the answer to myself yet.

As someone already suggested, posting in HTML is considered rather, well,
obnoxious and rude. Thankfully my email client can translate html to
plaintext, but some can't.. Might want to consider changing your posting
style.
:)

> Kind regards
>

> Rajesh.