[Mailman-Users] Wishlist Items

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Aug 13 01:03:34 CEST 2002

On 8/12/02 3:57 PM, "G. Armour Van Horn" <vanhorn at whidbey.com> wrote:

> But
> if the confirmation message included a note *from me*, whom they know, and
> then
> offered them the chance to ignore the message and not subscribe, or to reply
> to be
> subscribed, this would be a good process.

No, bad idea. Don't ever start a subscription process for someone without
their knowing what's going on.

But it's close.

Good idea: ability to send e-mail to a person saying "hey, you really ought
to check out this mail list, I think you'll want to subscribe", with the url
pointing to the Listinfo page.

But bad idea: sending email saying "I subscribed you to this list, because I
think you'll like it", with or without a confirmation for that email.
Because many users won't notice that it requires a confirmation, and start
screaming at the admins (and anyone else in the neighborhood) to get them
the @#$@#$% off the list, whether or not they're on it yet.

Point the user to the thing. Don't, whatever you do, do NOT start the
process FOR them.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

IMHO: Jargon. Acronym for In My Humble Opinion. Used to flag as an opinion
something that is clearly from context an opinion to everyone except the
mentally dense. Opinions flagged by IMHO are actually rarely humble. IMHO.
    (source: third unabridged dictionary of chuqui-isms).