[Mailman-Users] Can I pay for Technical support? re: MailMan?

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Tue Aug 13 20:47:01 CEST 2002

Yeah, I have my Mailman machine, along with three webservers and my private home
network, on a DSL line, and I don't think the proposed mail volume would be any
problem on his DSL line, which is faster than my 768K/768K line here.

In two years I've had two outages. One was resolved by updating the firmware in
the router, the other was 14 hours but was a problem with a Cisco firmware
upgrade at the telco end and it took out every static-IP install in the system.
Total of 16 hours in two years!

I did give the guy my hourly rate for help, I think there are quite a few of us
who could help him get started down the right track with just a couple of hours
of work. For some, just having a phone number is a lot more comforting than
relying on a mailing list. Having a range of options in this regard will make it
a lot easier for OpenSource products to grow out there.

Van

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> On 8/13/02 5:54 AM, "Support Desk" <cprg at cprg.net> wrote:
>

> > Ha, ha.. This is open source, not microsloth, there is
> > no "paid" support option..
> >
> > Personally, I find DSL and Cable lines too unreliable.
>
> Funny, I've been running my stuff on DSL since about 1998, and before that
> on a leased line into the house (back to 1995 or so), and I find it
> perfectly reliable enough.
>
> Although I always find people telling my my setup won't work fascinating...
> (grin)
>
> --
> Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
> chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/
>
> Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
> asleep yet.

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,