[Mailman-Users] mm_cfg.py doesn't appear to be working

Timothy R. Robnett tim at robnett.net
Tue Aug 13 20:52:05 CEST 2002

On Tue Aug 13, 2002 at 07:43:42PM +0100, Richard Barrett wrote:
> A couple of thoughts:
> 1. Some list attributes are initially set from mm_cfg.py configuration
> variables ONLY when the list is created. Subsequent changes to those
> defaults aren't propagated automatically into these per list attributes.
> DEFAULT_URL is an example. However, a list's URL can be changed (carefully)
> through the web admin GUI with MM 2.0.x or with bin/fix_url.py with MM 2.1.
> 2. Some defaults (call them secondary) in Defaults.py are defined in terms
> of other defaults (call them primary) defined higher up the source of
> Defaults.py. If you change the value of a primary default in mm_cfg.py you
> will not automatically change the value of those secondary defaults that
> depended on that redefined primary default; by the time mm_cfg.py is being
> processed the value of the secondary defaults has already been assigned.
> You must also redefine those secondary defaults in mm_cfg.py below the
> redefinition of the primary they depended on; just copy the line that set
> the secondary default from Defaults.py to mm_cfg.py and when it is
> processed it will pick up the revised value it depends upon.
> fyi: all the Mailman code imports mm_cfg.py which in turn imports
> Defaults.py. Hence the definitions in mm_cfg.py are evaluated following
> evaluation of Defaults. py. Values assigned in Defaults.py are re-evaluated
> after mm_cfg.py is processed by Python. If changing it in Defaults.py works
> and changing it in mm_cfg.py does not then I reckon you've got problem 2
> above.

Thanks, turns out my problem was a bit of 1 and 2. My initial post said
that changing settings in Default.py worked but mm_cfg.py didn't. Turns
out as you described some things I was trying to ajust needed to be done
elsewhere which gave the initial impression that one worked and the other
did not.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Timothy R. Robnett
mailto:tim at robnett.net

"If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins."
Benjamin Franklin