[Mailman-Users] problem with moderator password

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Aug 14 06:45:35 CEST 2002

    F> I'm using 2.1b3, one of my list owners is trying to
    F> define a moderator of a list, (that is not a list owner).

    F> the password admin screen provides a place to define
    F> different passwords for moderators and administrators.
    F> but, after setting that up, the admin login screen
    F> for that mailing list does not accept the moderator
    F> password, the admin password works as expected.

    F> the list owner told me they can log in with the
    F> listinfo screens, is there a seperate set of
    F> screen for non-admin moderators? or are we just
    F> confused about how the non-admin moderator identifies
    F> itself to mailman.

The admin password gives you access to the admin pages and the admindb
page.  The moderator password gives you access to the admindb page
only.

This means the "list administrator" can make changes to the list's
configuration, and of course can also handle held posts and
subscription requests.  Moderators can only handle holds, but cannot
modify the list's configuration.

HTH,
-Barry