[Mailman-Users] some details

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Aug 14 20:44:34 CEST 2002

Jeroen Valcke wrote:

> I 'instructed' mailman to use lists.mydomain.com as default hostname.
> Seems to work, when the lists sends out a message the from is indeed
> <listname at lists.mydomain.com> However the confirmation message sent
> after a subscription request does not comply with this rule. The
> 'confirmation of subscription' message sent by Mailman has a from header
> in the form of <listname-request at mydomain.com> How can I fix this?

    Set the following two variables in ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py:

    DEFAULT_HOST_NAME   = 'lists.mydomain.com'
    DEFAULT_URL         = 'http://lists.mydomain.com/mailman/'

    (in rare cases, you may also have to do the same in Defaults.py)

> Secondly I found a weird file in the directory /usr/mail/ The name of
> the file is mailman I don't understand what it is doing or why it was
> created in this location since I installed MailMan in the directory
> /usr/local/mailman, weird, can anybody explaing?

    That file is a mailbox for the USER mailman.  When you created that user,
that mailbox automatically gets created.  You could just remove it if you want.
I wouldn't worry about it.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.