[Mailman-Users] qrunner and list_members errors.

Deanna Phillips deanna at freeshell.org
Tue Aug 20 16:56:04 CEST 2002

Hi,

We've been getting a handful of qrunner errors a day, that look
something like this:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/qrunner", line 85, in ?
    from Mailman import MailList
ValueError: bad marshal data

or

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/qrunner", line 85, in ?
    from Mailman import MailList
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 44, in ?
    from Mailman.HTMLFormatter import HTMLFormatter
ValueError: bad marshal data

I tried rebuilding all of the *.pyc files on our 2.0.8
installation, then tried upgrading to 2.0.13 and the problem
continues.  It seems to die in different places (importing
MailList or HTMLFormatter).  I'm not sure whether or not this is
a serious error, since I don't see any evidence of mail not
getting delivered.

However, I have a shell script that I run nightly to list all
members of all of our lists (around 500 lists and 25,000
subscribers) and concatenate them into a file.  All the script
asks from mailman is a list_members on each list.  This has been
failing with errors like this:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "../bin/list_members", line 59, in ?
    from Mailman import MailList
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 38, in ?
    from Mailman import LockFile
ValueError: bad marshal data

and

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "../bin/list_members", line 59, in ?
    from Mailman import MailList
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 41, in ?
    from Mailman.ListAdmin import ListAdmin
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 33, in ?
    from Mailman import Message
ValueError: bad marshal data

and then finally:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "../bin/list_members", line 59, in ?
    from Mailman import MailList
MemoryError

This is a Debian system running Mailman 2.0.13 with Python
2.2.1, 900 MHz Athlon processor, 256 MB of RAM and 1 GB of swap,
if that matters.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Deanna