[Mailman-Users] Postings arrive with incorrect "To:" field (Take 2)

John Buttery john at io.com
Thu Aug 22 13:16:51 CEST 2002

   Someone pointed out to me off-list that some mailers don't process
PGP/MIME messages properly, so I might want to send my request in a more
lowest-common-denominator format.  I apologize to those of you with
modern mailers (sorry, couldn't resist :p) that have to read this twice;
here it is in a text-only email:

  I've just set up a list, and everything is working peachy except for
one thing; when someone posts to the list, the To: field is getting
rewritten with a different domain.  For example, if I compose an email
addressed to "listname at lists.domain.com" and send it, everyone gets
the posting just fine, but when it is delivered, the To: field has the
address "listname at boxname.domain.com" instead.  At first I thought this
might be an MTA issue (in this case, sendmail), but after running some
tests with other addresses that are not getting rewritten, it looks like
the issue is with mailman.  I have configured DEFAULT_HOST_NAME and also
went into the web interface and set "Hostname this list prefers", but it
still happens.  What else can I configure and/or check to debug?

 John Buttery

       I really look with commiseration over the great body of
       my fellow citizens who, reading newspapers, live and die
       in the belief that they have known something of what has
                    been passing in their time.

          Harry Truman, United States President (1945-1952)

                                     (Web page temporarily unavailable)