[Mailman-Users] /var/log/mailman files

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 12:29:29 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 11:04, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> [RH7.3, mailman-2.0.11-1]
>
> Looking in my /var/log/mailman directory, I see file names such as:
>
> 	error
> 	error.1
> 	error.1.1
> 	error.1.1.1
> 	error.1.1.1.1
> 	error.1.1.1.1.1

Normally means that someone has used an inappropriate wildcard in the
logrotate script.

Check for a mailman file in /etc/logrotate.d, and presumably it has
something like:-

	/var/log/mailman/*

as the logfile name.

This should be changed to explicitly list /var/log/mailman/error and the
other log files.

BTW this will exponentially grow and can wedge your system under the
right circumstances.  If the logrotate control file is from the RPM then
it needs fixing urgently.  logrotate was supposedly upgraded to avoid
this problem a while back - look for bugzilla entries that refer to
logrotate and samba.

Its a packaging problem rather than a mailman problem.

	Nigel.