[Mailman-Users] how to accept posts from everyone?

John Buttery john at io.com
Thu Dec 12 17:44:32 CET 2002

  First of all, I'd like to say that this message really was sent to me,
and CCed to the list; this is not MailMan 2.1 personalization.

  Sorry, couldn't resist.  :)

* "Gustavo J. A. M.  Carneiro" <gjc at inescporto.pt> [2002-12-12 14:25:37 +0000]:
>   This is not a public mailing-list. It is private.
>   To be more precise, what I want is to connect my private mailman ML to
> another, public one. This is the scenario:
> 	1. someone sends mail to the public list (which I don't manage);
> 	2. the public list brodcasts the message, and since the private ML
> address is subscribed to the public list, a copy of the message is sent
> to the private ML address;
> 	3. the private ML manager (mailman) receives the message; however, the
> From: field is set to someone at somedomain.com, so the message is help for
> approval.
>
>   So, I need to disable access control completely. However, if there's a
> better alternative to solve this problem, I'm interested!

  OK, this sounds much less menacing than what I was thinking.  This
is sort of a tricky situation, but what I personally would do is set
up some kind of filter.  Since you know that the only legitimate email
coming to the list (your private list) are list postings from the other
list, those should be easily identifiable by something like procmail
by matching the Sender: headers, any List-* headers, etc.  Just make a
filter that has a very restrictive ruleset that won't match anything
but a bona fide list posting from that other list, and drop everything
else on the floor.  (Hint: in addition to the usual procmail-fu, for
this case you can also pattern match in the Received: headers for the
list's SMTP server; since, again, ALL legit email is coming from the
same place.)

  Why don't you just get your users to subscribe themselves to the
original list?

 John Buttery
                                     (Web page temporarily unavailable)